History

The Wickford Yatch Club was first organized in 1935. While younger than many Yacht Clubs on Narragansett Bay, it has a salty history that was documented by Alfred Dion for Commisioning Day in 1995. It was edited and expanded by Barbara Dawson in 2003, 2008, and 2013. 

Amoung the highlights you will find:

  •  Extablished 1935
  •  Hurricane of 1938 destroyed the first clubhouse
  •  Woodpussy sailors formed a new Club after WWII
  •  Incorporated in May 1963 with 22 families
  •  Current clubhouse on Pleasant Street purchased in 1968
  •  Wickford Sailing Association (WSA) incorporated in 1985
  •  Wickford Regattas from 1974-1981 and then re-established in 2009
  •  Superstorm Sandy ravished the club in 2012
  •  Club Cruises from 1971 to present

The originators of the Club stated its mission to be: "To foster the sport of yachting

and to  provide suitable facilities and activities for its members." As we look at our

list of activities each year, we realize how well that mission is being met by the

present membership.

 

For all the details, please read all about us in the History of the Wickford Yacht

Club (By Alfred  Dion. First printing: Commissioning Day 1995, Edited and updated

in 2003, 2008 & 2113 by Barbara Dawson)

 

 

Wickford Yacht Club
165 Pleasant Street
North Kingstown , RI 02852
Phone: (401) 294-9010 (401) 294-9010
Fax: n/a
E-mail Address:
Print Print | Sitemap
© Wickford Yacht Club

Call